The Proposed Development
The application site comprises the existing Lupa House warehouse located to the north of Elstree Way. The site is broadly rectangular in shape and currently includes a large warehouse building with associated hardstanding and landscaping with a total site area of 1.46 ha. The current tenant, Donatantonio, specialises in importing and distributing of fine quality foods, and are due to vacate the unit as it is no longer fit for their operation.
The proposed planning application will seek full planning permission for the demolition of the existing building and the erection of a new Lidl food store with associated car parking, servicing and landscaping to the south of the site. The proposal includes a new bellmouth access to serve the foodstore and a new warehouse/industrial building to the rear.
The new food store will extend to 2,105 sq. m gross internal area (GIA) with net sales of 1,349 sq. m and will be supported by 122 car parking spaces, including 6 dedicated disabled spaces and 8 parent and child spaces. Secure covered cycle storage will also be provided for 10 bikes.
The proposed replacement warehouse/industrial unit will extend to 2,780 sq. m GIA and will be supported by 49 car parking spaces, including 4 disabled spaces and 12 cycle parking spaces.
Existing vehicular access from York Way will be retained and will accommodate all traffic to and from the proposed warehouse/industrial unit along with access for Lidl’s delivery vehicle. The new bellmouth access will be located on Elstree Way and will accommodate all customer traffic to and from the proposed Lidl foodstore.
It is proposed that the Lidl food store will be open between the hours of:
- 8am to 10pm Monday to Saturday (including Bank Holidays), and
- 10am to 4pm or 11am to 5pm Sunday
Benefits of the proposed development
- Redevelopment of an underused and surplus to requirement warehouse unit
- A state of the art purpose built store which provides a clean and fresh shopping experience to meet the needs of customers;
- A dedicated in-store bakery;
- Improved shopping choice for Borehamwood and the surrounding area;
- A contemporary building design that will complement the surrounding area;
- Employment opportunities, including up to 40 new retail jobs for local residents;
- Landscaping will improve the visual amenity of the site including soft landscaping around the boundary of the site;
- Enhanced employment use (B2 and B8) accommodation;
- Creation of new jobs within an allocated employment area.